In 2012 IAH took its first steps to establish a mentoring scheme, inviting members to register interest and provide additional comments via an online questionnaire and subsequently undertaking an initial trial. In addition we sought the advice of a mentoring/career development expert, and produced guidance notes for those participating in the scheme (both givers and receivers of advice). Since this time we have taken note of comments and ideas received from those who responded, including the trial participants. We have made further calls for participation almost yearly.
For latest updates regarding this year’s registration and next call, see below.
How the mentoring scheme assists
The IAH mentoring scheme brings support to its members in three important areas:
- the scientific – providing advice and technical knowledge on various topics within the many strands of hydrogeological science;
- career options and pathways – providing guidance on job types and locations, CVs, interviews, networking, courses and training openings;
- practical experience – case studies, local hydrogeological knowledge of specific regions or aquifer types, volunteering to undertake short assignments.
We know that we have such knowledge throughout our association and intend that our mentoring scheme provides the mechanism to share it. Could you benefit? Do you have knowledge and experiences to share?
Joining the scheme
IAH’s mentoring scheme is open to interested members only (being a member benefit of our Association). We continue to invite participation on a rolling basis. Of course, those who have a quick question or discussion point are free to use IAH’s social media channels and engage with IAH’s various national chapters and specialist groups, without formally joining the scheme. Don’t be shy – we are the global groundwater family – and if you make this initial contact you’ll find people welcoming…
- National chapters listing/contact information: https://iah.org/groups/national-chapters
- IAH specialist groups, commissions and networks (including Early Career Hydrogeologists’ Network): https://iah.org/groups/commissions-networks
Thank you to all those who submitted forms in the latter part of 2021 to join the scheme. We have undertaken reviews of all applications received and are in the midst of contacting everyone regarding next steps. We are grateful for everyone’s patience and support for the programme.
Look out for further announcement later in the year, when we will reopen the scheme for new applications. We also love to receive updates/progress from former and existing participants on the scheme – do get in touch with your feedback and comments – email email@example.com.
Our Scheme is Your Scheme
We have some feedback from a successful mentoring partnership, namely Mike Jones and Geraint Burrows; both have kindly agreed that their comments can be passed on.
Read their story (extract from newsletter)