Groundwater Modeling with Visual MODFLOW Flex
Waterloo Hydrogeologic Environmental Software Training. Course Description:
This course introduces participants to the complete groundwater modeling process and provides a perfect introduction to the Visual MODFLOW Flex interface. Course participants will enjoy a mix of lectures and exercises focused on a variety of groundwater modeling concepts including conceptual and numerical model development, contaminant transport modeling, the use of secondary utilities for enhanced modeling results and analysis, parameter estimation and model calibration, and the analysis of model results.
Visual MODFLOW Flex Premium will be provided for use at the course. Visual MODFLOW Flex brings together industry-standard codes for groundwater flow and contaminant transport (e.g. MODFLOW-2005, MODFLOW-USG, MODFLOW-LGR, MODFLOW-SURFACT, MT3DMS, RT3D, SEAWAT, etc.), essential analysis and calibration tools (e.g. Zone Budget, PEST), and stunning 3D visualization capabilities in a single, easy-to-use software environment.
This course introduces participants to the Visual MODFLOW Flex interface, and will provide an understanding of:
- Conceptual and numerical modeling workflows
- Fundamentals of finite difference flow modeling using MODFLOW
- Principles of efficient model grid design using Visual MODFLOW Flex
- Particle tracking using MODPATH to model the movement of particles through a flow system
- Computing sub-regional water budgets using ZoneBudget
- Contaminant transport processes and simulation using MT3DMS
- Parameter estimation and uncertainty analysis using the PEST utility
- Basics of building groundwater models with un-structured grids using MODFLOW-USG
- Visualization of model input and model results in 2 and 3-dimensional views
Who should attend?
This course is ideally suited for hydrogeologists, engineers and environmental scientists with some knowledge of field investigation and hydrogeologic data who wish to understand more about Visual MODFLOW Flex and applied groundwater modeling. Professional who have limited or no experience with groundwater modeling are more than welcome!
Attendees: please bring laptops or notebooks with the following minimum requirements:
Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7 (Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate)
Processor: 32-bit or 64-bit
Hard Disk: 500 MB
RAM: 8GB or higher recommended
What do you get?
- Industry leading training from an expert in modeling and Visual MODFLOW software
- 30-day temporary training license of Visual MODFLOW Flex Premium
- PDF copy of all the course lectures and exercises
- Networking with other environmental and modeling professionals
- 10% discount on Visual MODFLOW Flex licenses for course attendees
- Eligibility for Professional Development Credits.
Price: $1600 USD
Organised by Waterloo Hydrogeologic.